Dual-nationality holder Al Jazeera Journalist Mohamed Fahmy's deportation procedures will be
finalised after he renounces his Egyptian nationality, a source at Egypt's Foreign Ministry said on Sunday.
Canadian-Egyptian Fahmy is one of three Al Jazeera journalists sentenced to seven years in prison on June 23 on charges of defaming Egypt and spreading false news in the case known as the "Marriott Cell".
The second journalist, Australian Peter Greste was deported to Australia on Sunday afternoon, which leaves Egyptian Baher Mohamed behind bars.
Mohamed was sentenced to an additional three years for arms possession.
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi issued a decree allowing the deportation of foreign defendants and convicts "whenever the [state's]
supreme interest necessitates so" last November.
Fahmy is expected to renounce his Egyptian nationality in order to be covered by the decree, the source said, adding that he will be deported
following Sisi's approval.
Greste's deportation decision came after the approval of Sisi. According to an official cited by state-run MENA, the Egyptian Foreign Ministry
coordinated with the Australian Embassy to book Greste a flight to Sydney.
A retrial was ordered last month on the grounds of procedural errors.
No comments:
Post a Comment