Monguno who is a former Attorney General of Borno State told Sunday Trust that he was one of the 200 members who signed the impeachment motion on November 20, saying ''some newpapers published names of those who signed the motion but my name was conspicuously omitted. ''Arguing that president Jonathan had no reason to remain in office anymore having failed to protect Nigerians against Boko Haram insurgents, Monguno said in his statement;
''The Federal Government led by the President has woefully failed to discharge
these responsibilities. The Government which is solely responsible for the security
of the people has failed to protect the lives and properties of my constituents. For
five years now there has been consistent Boko Haram attacks in various parts of
my constituency. Jonathan has woefully failed to provide for the security and welfare
of my constituents that was why I signed the motion to impeach him.
The lawmakers further accused the Jonathan administration of ''Monumental'' corruption saying for any development to take place there is need for dividends of democracy to reach the people but because of the monumental corruption that has characterized this government, development is no longer reaching the people at the grass root and the Federal Government has clearly demonstrated lack of capacity to fight corruption. The executive arm of Government led by the President is a massive failure.
Of all the alleged constitutional breaches by the President, Monguno said the security siege on National Assembly was the final stroke that broke the camel's back hene, the move to impeach the President Jonathan.
''We need only one third of the members of the House to serve the President
impeachment notice and so far we have got far more than that so we we
resume the motion will be formally tabled for the President to be notified.
It is only the removal that requires two third, When we reconvene on
December 3rd the President will be served the impeachment notice.

No comments:
Post a Comment