Friday, October 24, 2014

Mexican mayor accused of ordering attack on missing student.

Mexico on Wednesday ordered the arrest of the mayor of the city of Iguala, his wife and an aide, charging they masterminded last month's attack that left six students dead and 43 missing.Mexican authorities have searched in vain for any trace of the college students who disappeared on September 26, in a case that has sparked national and international outrage, including mass demonstrations that saw the Iguala city hall torched Wednesday.Abarca "gave police the order to confront" students, who were known for frequent protests, so that they would not derail a public event by his wife, the head of a local state children's protection charity.Authorities say corrupt officials and police worked hand-in-hand with the Guerreros Unidos drug cartel in the attack, which could prove to be one of the worst slaughters that Mexico has witnessed since the drug war intensified in 2006.
The mayor's wife, Maria de los Angeles Pineda, is a sister of at least three known drug traffickers, and the couple has ties to Guerreros Unidos, authorities said.It is believed that the police  force shot at buses carrying the students and handed them over to officers in the neighboring town of Cocula, who then delivered them to the Guerreros Unidos drug gang.Protesters set fire to the city hall building to show their rage of the unresolved issue.The government has said it would give a reward of $110,000 to anyone with useful information.
View of the municipal palace of Iguala on Wednedsay after unknown men set it on fire in Iguala, Guerrero State.                                                                                                                                                                          A total of 36 municipal officers in Iguala have been arrested in the case, along with 17 Guerreros Unidos members and their boss. 
 Iguala's Mayor Jose Luis Abarca  

No comments:

Post a Comment